Plan our escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alaska/Colorado/Montana Outdoors Forum

Go down

Alaska/Colorado/Montana Outdoors Forum Empty Alaska/Colorado/Montana Outdoors Forum

Post  anarchyintheak Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey guys, I was doing some research last night about off-grid living and came across the Alaska Outdoors Forums. Lots of really good information on survival and off-grid living and lots and LOTS of people that have, and are, doing it.

This thread in particular struck a chord: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=39834

Now, I know most of you are against the Alaska thing. I'm not pushing that. I'm just saying that most of the advice that you find there is probably the most quality advice for what you're wanting to do, no matter where you go, that you'll find on the Web, so check it out and take it to heart.

Like I told John last night (or this morning? I pulled an all-nighter,) I really think it's imperative to move to the general area/climate that you want to move off into the wilderness in before you make the "big jump". That's just part of the rational planning process.

You can gather all the information you want from the web and books and even talking to people, but you really need to be in a place to really understand the obstacles you'll face so that you can succeed at your venture.

That's what I've been doing for a year now, and so far thinking about what would have happened to me if I went out into the wilderness without the knowledge I've gained in the last year alone is really, really scary. (And I'm still not ready!)

I mean, if you want to just bum around in the bush for the summer, that's not that hard. You'll probably come out a lot skinnier, but if you have a decent head on your shoulders and some decent gear/supplies and know what and how to eat, and seasonal run-off patterns, a decent amount of bush medicine knowledge, and bear safety (there are bears and moose in Canada, too, FYI,) and fire safety and where nobody will mind too much if you squat for a few months, it's really quite easy to survive for one season.

It's the year-round thing that requires most to be rescued, or worse.

Cheers,
Rachel
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.anarcyintheak.com

Back to top Go down