Plan our escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Info on Clothing for Alaska...

3 posters

Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty General Info on Clothing for Alaska...

Post  anarchyintheak Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 am

Just a word of advice: exclude anything wool or cotton if possible, aside from maybe a few pairs of SmartWool socks. (OK, even I can never keep from bringing jeans and a few t-shirts, but that's all!)

Wool takes way too long to dry and is heavier, less effective than synthetic fabrics.

For your primary shoes throughout most of summer, you need a pair of X-Tra Tuff boots. People joke that they're part of the uniform up here. Some people I know (even in town here,) wear nothing else until the snow gets really, really, deep and some even keep wearing them after that. (I guess they just have some badass socks or something because those things have no insulation.)

Alaska doesn't SEEM like the kind of place that would be all about brands, but we like what works and the brands you'll see most out here are:

Northface
Carhartts
SmartWool
X-Tra Tuffs
Turtle Fleece

Remember--it's all about LAYERS. Even in -20F you can break into a sweat if you're working, and in those temps that can be deadly.

You will end up wearing thermal underwear the entire winter--invest in at least 2 good sets as this is your daily base layer. From there you need a couple of good synthetic long sleeve shirts, a pull-over fleece or two (avoid a hooded sweatshirt as handy and comfortable as they can be, too heavy/bulky, too slow drying.) probably one really good set of insulated bibs for working outdoors in cold weather, a lighter soft-shell jacket, a heavy jacket, turtle fleece neck warmer....

This probably isn't the best place for this...I'll find where it should go and add more later.
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.anarcyintheak.com

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty So Rachel...

Post  DJJoko (John) Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:35 am

I have to ask...

What in the heck are you waiting for?? Everything you write shows you've done your homework. With all this knowlege, why in the world aren't you going too!?!

Smile

Since Ryan gave me his log-in info, I'm going to work on getting everything re-organized. I have to work today, so I'm not sure how much I can get done by then.

Good info, Rachel! Thanks...

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty Re: General Info on Clothing for Alaska...

Post  anarchyintheak Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Haha, this is the kind of stuff you pick up just living here! But the reason I'm not going mainly is because what I want ultimately is very different from what you guys want. I want an off-the-grid rural homestead, but I want it to be a model of modern sustainability with solar/wind energy, satellite internet/phone, sustainable agriculture (small livestock, too) and the ultimate environmentally friendly housing structure -- whatever that may be. I'll have at least one dog team, and means (hopefully biofueled!) to get myself into town at least 2x a year to re-stock on things I need.

I'm not really that interested in roughing it! I just want to get away from it all and live by myself on my own terms.

Thanks for reorganizing the forum, it really needed it.
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty Well, OK...

Post  DJJoko (John) Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:55 am

I guess that's a good enough reason for not going. *sigh* But we'll miss you!

Thanks for the OK on the re-organization. I tried... but some topics were all over the map and I didn't know where to put them!

Smile

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty Re: General Info on Clothing for Alaska...

Post  Chris Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 am

Well as hurtfull ass it is to hear that you are not coming with us anarchy I do believe that we all have our own set destination's, just sucks yours isn't with are's, could have been a great help to our soon to be situation. But I am in your dept for all of your helpful insite.

thanks, Chris
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty Rachel, I'm a little confused...

Post  DJJoko (John) Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm looking up items and using the list you provided as a guide. Now I'm looking at socks and there are all these wool blend ones out there.

I thought wool was a really bad idea in extreme climates? Yet there are socks all over hell that are wool, yet say they are for hiking in extreme weather?

Any clue?

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anarchyintheak Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:36 pm

sn33k wrote:Well as hurtfull ass it is to hear that you are not coming with us anarchy I do believe that we all have our own set destination's, just sucks yours isn't with are's, could have been a great help to our soon to be situation. But I am in your dept for all of your helpful insite.

thanks, Chris

Chris, don't take it personally!

Who knows, when spring rolls around depending on where things are at here, I may take off for a few weeks. It definitely sounds like an adventure and I would love to come along for a bit. Maybe write a story about it. (I'm a newspaper reporter.)
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Back to top Go down

Post  anarchyintheak Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm

DJJoko (John) wrote:I'm looking up items and using the list you provided as a guide. Now I'm looking at socks and there are all these wool blend ones out there.

I thought wool was a really bad idea in extreme climates? Yet there are socks all over hell that are wool, yet say they are for hiking in extreme weather?

Any clue?

John

Sorry John, I guess my prior post about wool wasn't very clear. Most people I know do use wool socks, just be sure to go for the high quality ones. Socks are one of those things that are small enough that you can bring several pairs without a lot of weight, so if something happens you can switch them out easily.

I wouldn't personally bring any wool items larger than socks, but when weight is less of an issue I do know people that like wool sweaters. I just feel like they're too heavy and not the best use of space and weight, especially when I think there are synthetic materials out there that dry much faster, breathe better, and are just as warm.
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Back to top Go down

General Info on Clothing for Alaska... Empty Gotcha...

Post  DJJoko (John) Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Rachel. Now I can go order all my high-quality wool socks.

A newspaper reporter, eh? No wonder you write so well --and with such good grammar and punctuation too! (yes, I notice the smallest of details)

Smile
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down