Plan our escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival Kit List

+5
Chaz
DJJoko (John)
AdamWashington
Ryan
benjammin08
9 posters

Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Survival Kit List

Post  benjammin08 Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 pm

here's a list I got from 'SAS Survival Handbook, which im reading.

Survival Kit (Pocket-Size):

Matches
Candle
Flint
Magnifying Glass
Needles and Thread
Fishoooks and Line
Compass
Beta Light [contact Penrith Survival Equipment, below]
Snare Wire
Flexible Saw (wire saw)
Medical Kit:
Pain reliever
Intestinal seditive
Antibiotic
Antihistimine
Water sterilizing tablets
Anti-malaria tablets
Potassium permanganate
Surgical Blades
Butterfly Sutures
Plasters (band-aids)
Condom
Survival Pouch (larger kit):
Mess Tin
Fuel
Flashlight
Flares
Marker Panel (surveyor's tape?)
Matches
Brew Kit (tea kit)
Clear Plastic Bag
Food
Knife & sharpener

...all in a waterproof pouch
benjammin08
benjammin08

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Stuff i am bringing

Post  Ryan Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:04 am

A outer frame backpack
Sleeping bag
Small tent
First aid kit
100 yards of rope/twine
Clothes line
Heavy duty tarp
Swiss army pocket knife
Buck knife
Flint stone
Fish net
Fishing pole
Hooks
A Leatherman
Pack of pencils
Pencil sharpener
5 gallon jug
A Hatchet
Saw/Axe
Road flares
Shoes/boots
Jeans/pant/belt
Towels/washcloth
Shorts
Soap
T-shirts
Socks/extra socks
Hat
Bandana
Sweatshirt/jacket
Underwear
Sleep clothes
Shower bag or 5 gallon bucket
Rain gear
Soap
Cook utensils-spatula, knife, tongs
Compass
Scissors
Work gloves
Duct tape
Bungi cords
Canteen

Any thing else anyone wants to add would be helpful.

-Ryan
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://wilderness-plan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Re: Survival Kit List

Post  AdamWashington Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:20 pm

well personally I don't want to bring things that run out... Such as pain relever, and soap stuff like that, cause wen you run out what are you going to do, I want to be able to use our natural resorces.
AdamWashington
AdamWashington

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Should we assign who is in charge of what?

Post  benjammin08 Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 pm

I was thinking. It seems that were all probably bringing our own survival kits. Would it be better if we assign who brings what. I just bought an axe and hatchet. I think it would be pointless if we all bring one. Or maybe its not since we'll have more people doing work. I was just thinking since carrying to much would be a hassle. WHat do you guys think?
benjammin08
benjammin08

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Just to be safe

Post  Ryan Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:41 pm

I am making my own list, and i am bringing everythin i well need, just in case. Not to be rude but i just want to make sure we have everything, but you guys can assign lists and what not. But to be safe i am bringing everything that i can think of. I just bought a lighweight sleeping bag, and a collapsable tent today.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty I agree, Benjamin...

Post  DJJoko (John) Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:54 am

There should absolutely be organization, to divide up the supplies needed and assign who should take what. Remember... we'd be hiking out to some remote location. There is only so much weight that any of us could carry. I've thought about this very issue in great detail.

I have been worried about going it alone, and how I would transport all the supplies of a lifetime with me on my back. That has really been worrying me. We know we'll need hatchets, axes, wedges, etc. This things are heavy and weight is such an issue that I think it would only be practical to come up with a list of supplies and then assign and dispurse the weight evenly between all who are going.
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty I guess you are right

Post  Ryan Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:14 am

after reading what you said John, we definitely do not need 6 ax's, and 6 pots and pans. i think we should bring like two ax's, and twos of stuff that are definitely going to be essential. but like i said, i am still going to bring a lot of stuff myself.

Why haven't we decided on a spot yet? I think just 2 of you have said Canada's good, other than that the rest of you are silent, if you don't like it or do please speak up, and make your own suggestions. We need to get this hammered out now
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  benjammin08 Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:46 pm

Well ive already said that im ok with Canada for sure.
benjammin08
benjammin08

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamWashington Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm

yes I agree Canada could work.
AdamWashington
AdamWashington

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty well i know you two have

Post  Ryan Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I was talking about john, chaz, chris and whoever else. just sucks when we do not have everyones imput yet.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty hey guys

Post  Chaz Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:58 pm

i haven't been online but for maybe 5 mins these past couple of weeks. most of you know i don't have internet access, but whatever. i'm looking at the location right now and its looking good i guess. what do we know about this place so far?
Chaz
Chaz

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Hey chaz

Post  Ryan Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 am

Well from the research i have been doing, the weather is very temperate, it rarley snows there, and if it does, it does not stick around for more than a few days. The southern spot that i have been looking into is pretty isolated. There are a few indian reservation/tribes near by, but there are not any roads to them, so i take that they are the real deal, like living off the land aswell. i was thinking we would head north from port renfrew. Port renfrew s were the highway ends so we would just be able to hike up the coastline, and find a nice decent spot in the woods. It rains alot there, like 200 in a year i think is what i read. But extra moisture well be good. Other than that i have not done any more deep resarch into the area since not every one is voicing there opinions.

I think John is now the only one who has not agreed on this site, i messaged him on myspace and he still has not responded so dont know what the hell he thinks about it. Pretty frustrating when we are all trying to get it together, and not every one is contributing.

Yeah thats it so far. we just all need to keep this moving.
-ryan
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 am

Ok so as far as the distribution of the equipment, you guys have a good point but then there is the issue of everybodies plans,who's staying permenitly, who's going home earlier then others, if people decide to move to seperate spots etc... So based on that I'll have to go with bringing your own suplies.

Now about the location I'm sorry if I havent left any posts I thaught I did but guess not.. Canida is an ideal location it seems, I just baught an up to dat map today including some more suplies and my SAS survival book.

So if the idea is to take a farrie from WA thats fine with me. Do you guys have a a meeting location thaught up yet?

And also I also like march not so much late march as early or mid but thats just because im becoming imatient...

I made the mistake of watching Into The Wild Sun. night and now i'm more impatient then ever..
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Good point

Post  DJJoko (John) Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:29 pm

I've been pondering this dilemma forever now. You can only carry so much on your back... and metal tools are heavy. I'd thought about shipping them up, since things here are supposedly so much cheaper. I haven't priced shipping yet. If it's that expensive, then it would definitely be a dumb move.

Are there really thrift shops around, where tools like drawknives, hand saws, or axes and hatchets are dirt cheap? Here they are everywhere... and very cheap. I'd hate to wait to get things until I arrived, only to find out that they aren't affordable for me, even at AK's second-hand prices.

What could you expect to pay for an old used axe, for example? Here, they would be maybe 5-10 bucks.
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anarchyintheak Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Making sure you get a decent quality axe head that will hold an edge is very important, and people here realize that. I don't know for sure that you could find one for 5-10 dollars, but I'd be willing to bet even down there one that you could get for that price isn't worth having when your life is depending on it.

This is a good thread on axes and which kinds are good: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=40766

There's also a few suggestions as to where to find these things.

I'd really like to emphasize again the usefulness of that forum (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) for planning. You ought to be posting questions about where to go and what to take over there. Those guys will be able to give you some good advice.

Another good site I just looked up that I haven't looked at in a while is the Alaska Trekker site. Erin and Hig hiked 4,000 miles along the coast from Seattle to the farthest reach of the Alaskan peninsula. Not only is their gear suggestions invaluable, but you might even be able to use some information on the site to figure out where you want to go.

http://www.aktrekking.com/gear.html
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.anarcyintheak.com

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Divvying up the supply list...

Post  DJJoko (John) Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:39 am

I've thought about this before. If we have two of each of the supplies needed to build with us (i.e. an axe or hatchet), then I think we would be covered. As someone said before, I don't think we'd need 6 or 7 of some of this stuff. If one person takes one or two of any one thing, then the next guy won't be burdened with the weight and can take something else, passing the levy onto the next guy, and so on.

I have thought about sleeping bags and tents, and they are heavy. Most will hold at least two (I know my bag and tent will). They are the heaviest items... but maybe we don't all need to bring each item individually... that would need to be up to discussion, I guess.

Another consideration is, what if one or more people decide to leave and they have brought their own tools or supplies? What if they need to take them for survival while getting back to civilization? Where would that leave the folks who stay behind?

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamWashington Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm

my opinion is that we all take what we need to survive ourselves. Not rely on the next guy to carry half of my survivlal gear. That's how I feel and I beleve I can carry all of it on my back and hick into the wild.
AdamWashington
AdamWashington

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:56 pm

I would maybe add 1 can of bear spray to the list, it might help.

Taylor

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Well this brings up the subject of being in shape. If we are all in shape we shouldn't have any problems with carrying what you need as a single person trying to servive. Also we may have the problem of someone leaving earlier then others like someone said. Also if a tool or item brakes we would have extra.
Haveing certain people bring certain items might be easier in the begining but in the long run it might not be such a good idead. just my opinion.

I will be bringing everything that I belive I'll need to have if I were to be surviving on my own.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Thaught this might be usefull if anybody is going to be taking a plane to our final destination. Explains whats allowed or not and how to pack it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1187.shtm
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Thanks, Chris

Post  DJJoko (John) Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 am

Good info. I've bookmarked it for future use!
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anarchyintheak Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Taylor wrote:I would maybe add 1 can of bear spray to the list, it might help.

It might help, but bear spray is one of those things that is only useful if you have immediate access to it while you're being charged, so if anything, everyone needs it on their person at all times...

However, I'd assume wherever you guys end up the bears will not be acclimated to humans and since it doesn't sound as if you'll be near the coast line where bears get much larger and aggressively protective over salmon and such, good bear safety skills will likely easily avert most danger. Bear safety includes being loud and shouting "no bear" or singing or talking loudly to each other or yourself whenever traveling in anything except wide open flat land with no brush. When camping it also means you prepare your food far away from where you sleep. That's probably not something to do after you get the cabin built, but if you hunt I would still be careful to clean the animals a long way from the cabin.

Frankly though, way out in the middle of nowhere, moose are every bit as dangerous as the bears. I'd have a gun that could take either out with one shot on me at all times. Most people that know what they're doing do that.
anarchyintheak
anarchyintheak

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-03

http://www.anarcyintheak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:03 pm

Yeah im just saying to maybe have 1 in the cabin so if a bear were to try to come in at night it could help. Although i know bears are not too big of a problem, from personal experience i find moose to be dangerous, i once was about 6 feet away from a female moose, and she charged. They say in the fall a cow moose is the most dangerous animal in North America.

Last edited by Taylor on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mystake)

Taylor

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Survival Kit List Empty Bear

Post  mrgoodtimes420 Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

The Things that will attract bear are Smells Like Food!

Keep Our Hunting Kills in a tree a few hundread yards away from camp would be wise.. And Bear Spray is another one of those things that will Run out.. If we are afraid every time a bear walks by I think we will be very unhappy. Most of the time if you stand tall show no fear and Make alot of noise the bear will go about it's business. (This is not first hand knowledge but learned via internet and TV)

Also I plan on taking everything I need to survive on my own back.. If people realize that this wilderness thing isn't for them I don't want them taking off with the AXE.

Mike

mrgoodtimes420

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down