Plan our escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your expectations?

+6
Chaz
AdamWashington
Ryan
Chris
benjammin08
DJJoko (John)
10 posters

Go down

What are your expectations? Empty What are your expectations?

Post  DJJoko (John) Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Hey, all.

In reading the posts that have been created so far, I decided that, maybe even more importantly than deciding on a good spot, might be getting to know what everyone's vision is. I think we all share the same long-term goals, no doubt but I'm speaking of more short-term goals to get to that end. I think there may be variations among us that could effect the location we go to, and many other things we'll need to decide upon.

Things that I think it might be important to know about each other are things like:

--How long do you want to try this "living off the land" thing? --for a few months, years, or indefinitely?

--How "off the grid" do you want to be? Do you only want one foot off, while still keeping the other on for security?

--If things get tough... and I mean, really tough, how quickly do you see yourself scrubbing the notion altogether and heading back into society?

I know it's hard to say. Survival instincts are strong so who knows what any one of us would really do when the tough got going. In that way, these are not totally fair questions... but maybe they are more important than they may seem.

The reason I ask is because for me, there will be no going back, no matter what. I will either suceed, or literally die trying, as foolish as that may seem. That changes the dynamics for me just slightly. In my planning, I know that I'll need to have all the supplies of a lifetime with me when I leave. Those supplies will need to last me as long as my life lasts me (which will be a long time, if I have anything to say about it). Tools for example, will wear down with hard use and there can't be any replacing them. That means, I need to get where I am going and get building and developing my life there, wherever that may be. If my plans were to jump in and out of society at will, this wouldn't be such a consideration for me... but it's not my vision.

Do you see why I think it might be important to know where we all stand on our own visions? Priorities can easily shift depending on these variations. What do you guys think?

Peace...

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty Re: What are your expectations?

Post  benjammin08 Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Well I wanna do this for a 3 months...but if living off the land becomes something I do not want to leave well than im not going back. that could happen. If I do decide to go back after three months then I will eventually go back some years later indefinately. Im pretty sure im going to see the world in a different perspective so going back to society might not be the same anymore.

This is a big thing for me and I cant wait to meet all of yall. I met Chaz last weekend and he is a really good person. He's definately an adventurist.

If things get tough I cant let it get to me or that could be the reason for my death. Surviving means you try untill you figure out the situation and get past it.

More power to you if this is your retirement plan. I guess it wouldnt be called a retirement plan anymore since that doesnt exist there. I just cant wait to get away from all this. I want to be surrounded by rivers, lakes and forests.
benjammin08
benjammin08

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty My expectations

Post  Chris Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Well it seem like we have alot in common Dj. This has been a life long dream thats coming into reality, and I can't believe it! I've always loved the wilderness and was always at my maxed potential when I was out there.

I've got my heart set on living out there for the rest of my life <basicly>. Now what I mean by basicly is I'm not to much of a family person and leaving them wouldn't be a problem. The thing isI do have a little sister about 13 years of age and she is my everything I would give or take life for her without hesitation.

So in saying that to your question about how off the grid we would like to be believe me I want to be on the point of no return, but I feel that I can't.

I would like to be in a position where I am away from any civilization but also at the point where every year atleast once or twice even if just on her birthday I could go visit her and maybie even stay for a little just to make sure she's still headed in the direction she's going right now, but at the same time be able to come right back out to whereever i previously was.

Realy this would probably happen after we were setteled in and comfertable and only happen for a few years until I was sure she was ok...
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty Hey John

Post  Ryan Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:12 pm

After readind the other posts on your topic i see that we all have a main goal to be in the wild and thats about it... ME i want to stay out there as long as i can stand it. Its not going to be a hey lets go on a week hike, get bored and turn around and go home. No way, this is the way we are supposed to live. So that said, i want to do this indeffinitley, even if that means moving from spot to spot.

How off the grid? Me i want to be away from civilization, but i want to be close enough so i can make it to town or a little village so i can keep in contact with my family. Like send them a letter, letting them know i am doing fine. But other than that, i want to work for myself, once our tools break or wear down like you said, i want to be able to have the skill to make a new one with the things around me.

"If things get tough... and I mean, really tough, how quickly do you see yourself scrubbing the notion altogether and heading back into society?" The only way i well pack up and leave is if i am about to freeze to death, have no way of staying warm and keeping a fire going, or if i am about to starve to death, like i cant eat the leafs off a tree, or there is no edible roots, but thats an extrme unlikley factor... So it would have to be something where i am in immediate danger of death and i cant do a damn thing about it, other than that i am staying for better or worse.

But this is just me, sorry for ranting but i hope you can understand from this how i feel about the wild and how determined i am to stay. This is everything to me, if it failed i have no idea what i would do, i do not see myself returning to society happy at all...

-Ryan
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://wilderness-plan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty This is what I want.

Post  AdamWashington Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Being in the wild is WHAT I want to do with the rest of my life, i disagree with so many things that our species/society is doing with there lives right now, and what would make me appriciate life and all of our planets beautiful land and opportunities. So yes going indeffinitley is my plan as well, I am ready to do this.
For all the people that want to be able to get back to our society or send mail, i think it is virtually possible to do that from where ever we are, just have to hike out might take a week might take three weeks but i don't know.
I plan on bring the supplies and knowledge that will let me stay out there until i grow old and die. So i plan on making it as livable as possible. All of our knowledge and ideas put together i truly think we can make this work. So ya kick ass lets do this thing. I just want to be out there right now.
Peace 420
Adam Marcus Robinett
AdamWashington
AdamWashington

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaz Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:47 pm

This is what i plan on doing for the rest of my life as well. And like you guys, i would like to take that periodic hike into town to contact family for the first year or so. My family supports my decission as long as they know that I'll be ok.
Chaz
Chaz

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty hey

Post  feastoffriends Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Hey Guys.. I'm new to this forum. its is really intriguing.. Living in the Wild? now that might prove to be a little hard. But experiencing the wild at its fullest might prove to be a more realistic endevour. I am ready to go and for long term..and for those who are interested.. I have a place for us to stay in Tofino BC> on a farm..in ..the wild.. you have to wokr everyday..but anyways..check out the pics on my face book..and add me.. because we are all of the same mindset.. we dont fit in with the rest of society...Check out my traveling picks..im ready to go again.. I think the idea of having a little gang is sick..we would have to split up into two's whenever we hitch hiked but then we could all meet up again..sounds smart. https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1226064548&ref=profile

"To protect the body at all costs is to die a thousand deaths. Those who risk the body to live as men truly live."

feastoffriends

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 pm

ok well this kinda sucks ;(... well anyways, I'm pretty much down for anything my object is just to actually get into the wild at some point in time hopefully sooner then later. what i like to know is if we are breaking up into 2 groups and who is going where? I know alot of us arent leaving any posts anymore but if everyone who is still planning on doing something and going somewhere, I'd apretiate it if you could leave a last post of what group your in (AK, traveling, other) depending on the amount of people that still feel good about AK i think Id preffer going there still.

After seeing I think its called "The Edge" I kinda got my mind set on thats the place I wanna be. Not as harsh as I woulda thaught, plus its beautifull!

thanks Chris.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty Count me in...

Post  DJJoko (John) Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

For the record, I haven't changed my mind in the least. It's still AK for me. For anyone who is rethinking it or officially decided to go somewhere else, know I absolutely respect it... in a very deep sense of understanding.

I couldn't continue to roam the land in a tent. It's just not me at all. For those who desire that sort of life, I'd bet it would be a great idea though.

I'm still set... I am AK bound.

On a more personal note, Chris... I see you've come to the same realization that I did some time back. AK is breath-taking and not nearly as extreme a place as I'd always thought it was. I dream of waking up one morning and looking at that landscape through the cabin window...

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty nothing other than an experiance.

Post  PerishInto3.14 Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 am

I figured this would be more of a long term experiance then a summer retreat. I had intentions of never really returning to my former state of living, i would see that as transdressive. Is this still happening? I havent posted in awhile. I have been trying to break the winter outdoors but, it is far too difficult solo.
PerishInto3.14
PerishInto3.14

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Odin Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:30 am

Hey my name is Devin, and i'm new to the site, found it from your post on couchsurfing, and was very interested so i went ahead and joined.

--How long do you want to try this "living off the land" thing? for me this would be more of a lifestyle then an adventure or trip, i've already taken the plunge as they would say and given up all my possessions, and been traveling across the u.s. for 1-1/2 yrs now w/ what i can carry in my backpack. currently still in kansas as im mostly finished recovering from the knee surgery i needed to have and staying w/ grandparents.

--How "off the grid" do you want to be? entirely i don't believe in the endless excess , waste, and rediculousness of our modern day society.

--If things get tough... and I mean, really tough, how quickly do you see yourself scrubbing the notion altogether and heading back into society? heading back into society? never. Though i am a nomad at heart and this would more then likely end up being my Home between wandering across the planet.

I cant say i completely agree with you as to the taking everything we need out there all at once, if we're to become the self sufficient off the grid community we would need to know how to make those tools for ourselves, personally i know some blacksmithing and how to make swords/knives small tools of the sort.

Thank you for making a board like this and im very eager and interested in the progress of this mission.

Odin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty Hi, Devin

Post  DJJoko (John) Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:37 am

Welcome aboard. As you can see, the forum sort of... well, died down a bit. There was a lot of discussion about all of this, mostly about where to go. There is a lot that has been covered, hashed, and rehashed... lol. You'll have some interesting reading.

The last that I heard was that, we had all been discussing Alaska and different locations there. After a lot of discussion about it, the majority decided to go somewhere a bit warmer instead. I'm not sure if they picked a spot or not, I haven't heard. Ryan, Adam, or Benjammin would be good ones to contact about that. I am still planning for AK, though I can't make it this spring... it will have to be next spring. Chris said he is still interested in AK too... but we haven't connected lately.

I am still around... watching. Feel free to post some more and I'll try and keep up.

Peace--

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are your expectations? Empty My plan

Post  zeniac Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 am

My plan is to go into the wild naked and without tools. I wanna leave everything. I gave my self 2-3 years to travel, think and get the skills I need. Biggist problem is now where. Land costs and owning related you to society. Here in finland you could found some place in north where probably noone would be asking what are you doing here...But I have also though about canada and alaska, because there is similar climat and nature than here.

Reason why I want to do this is that I need to feel that I´m fighting for my life, I wanna survive. Life is too easy in this way. I´m not sure do I want other people with me, it would easily go too easy Smile My plans is still open and this way I´ve planned is so risky, nothing can´t go wrong or I´m dead. Group would be safer... But if nature beat me, I let it take me...

I tell later more, english is so slow to write for me...

zeniac

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum