Plan our escape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location, location, location

+6
AdamWashington
Chris
alesandra
DJJoko (John)
Ryan
benjammin08
10 posters

Go down

Location, location, location Empty Location, location, location

Post  benjammin08 Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Well I work two jobs right now so I can save money till this thing goes down. Im sorry if I havent really been active since the beginning of the weekend. I think what Rachel said about the Sustina River valley is right. We could go there but if it is a summer outdoors destination then we should head farther north or maybe east. I just wanna find a location. Cant we just go there and camp till we find a spot when we get to Alaska since finding one on google earth is kinda good but also not acurate. Since we dont know what that location really looks like.

We could head out there in the spring and just find a camp spot for a week or two and get to know each other. Head out looking for a spot and then choose the one that we like best. I dont think we'll be able to find one this way.
benjammin08
benjammin08

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty Re: Location, location, location

Post  Ryan Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 pm

I think that is a very good and realistic idea. It seems that if we did do that, we could find a spot that we all like in person, and not just some satelite picture. well that sounds good to me. im down. So if we all did do this when would we head to alaska?
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://wilderness-plan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty I agree

Post  DJJoko (John) Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm

It is really too tough to decide on a spot, even as helpful as the internet is.

As long as we know the climate we are heading too, and the general area, then we can discuss the equipment we'd need, and the packing of it all. I agree. After we arrive we can scout out the area. As long as we have a way of knowing that there are no homes within about a 25 mile radius, I'll be completely contented with it (oh, and no airports or forestry look-outs either).

I plan to have a GPS device with me, and a solar battery charger to keep it juiced. Hopefully it will indicate the nearest town or settlement that we are near. I've only just begun to look at different GPS models, though I think I have one in mind.

Of course, if we go with the 25 mile radius zone, that also means we'll have to hike in approximately 25 miles. I think that now would be a good time to start discussing tools and supplies that the group will need... and who will take what, in order to make that long hike.

John
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty Oh, a P.S.

Post  DJJoko (John) Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:49 pm

I agree. I think it should be late March or so when we head out. It will take time to hike to the area, let alone set up camp.
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Alright so this is what we well do, anyone have cordinites of the place we well start out from?
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  benjammin08 Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:24 pm

Well arent we going to start out in Anchorage? Thats where the airport is.
benjammin08
benjammin08

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Hey anchorage works for me, but you are gonna fly in? dang that well be expensive, and what are you going to do about your gear?
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty um, question

Post  alesandra Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

why alaska? i mean its beautiful and all, but its a place that should come eventually, not in the beginning i think. the weather is harsh man, i would feel comfortable being able to grow a smal garden in a more moderate climate and then dive into alaska, thats a big jump ya know. i feel like im alone though on this though, judging by your responses you all seem pretty headstrong for alaska:/

alesandra

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.myspace.com/breathandpass

Back to top Go down

Post  benjammin08 Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Well im set on Alaska but I said from the beginning that its going to be the most extreme conditions. I still think going somewhere else should be highly considered. Going at the end of spring is not the best idea either, since it will most likely still be frozen over. I really think were going but were not going to be ready by spring. Watching INTO THE WILD should let you know how extreme it is. I really dont know about all these other people that are going. I liked it when it was like seven or eight. But I see 15 now. We dont really know each other. I haven't even talked to any of you on the phone besides Chaz. I think if were going to live together I wanna know if you guys have what it takes. We can all talk the talk but being out there in the wilderness of AK, walking the walk will definately be something we all must comit to. Im just saying that I hope all of you guys know that this isnt a game. This isnt just something you say you'll do and go, then consider leaving when your out 150 miles away from civilization. I really dont wanna tell you guys your not going to make it. Im just saying that all these 15 people are all people we've met on the internet. Some of which might not have a clue about what to do when were out there. So then those are the people were going to have to calm down and try to convince to go on. I hope you guys realize that AK is a bad first choice. im still down for AK. But not if were going at the end of Spring. Not a good choice for the first location and time of which to go.

Ben
benjammin08
benjammin08

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

I have alot of the same feelings on that topic. I've said it in the past that we should all go to a more less harsh invironment only for a short amount of time <maybie a few weeks>. In doing so we could find out what everyone realy wanted to do, stay, leave, split up etc... Also we could get to know each other a little better find out eachers weaknes' and streangth's and so forth.

This realy isn't some simple camping trip and for a few of us atleast I belive isn't a joke. Out of the 16 people registered on here there are only about half that seem serious about this and whant to go. The last thing we need is to get to alaska and to an area thats suitable to our needs 200miles away from anything and 5 people say that they can't do this anymore or are more of a burden to us then helping us.

Also I just wanted to add, for the few of you who arent coming with us and are putting forth all the information and cunstructive criticism I realy apretiate it! You've been alot of help.

Chris
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamWashington Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I would agree with both replyies before me for the most part. First the stuff I did not agree with was that ben said that ak was a bad plAce to start and to go in the end of the spring is bad time to go. Well I thought we had decided that the end of march would be a food time to go. And I think getting up there at that time will leave time for me and others to start getting the ground ready for harvest and crop go grow and catch lots extra salmon clean them and vacum seal them in the plastic bags and freeze them and freeze some crop and eat all that over the winter time. I personally think I will be ready end of march I think some people need to come out and say they don't want to go the end of march. I think this can be done and who ever comes can help in lots of ways. I think the tent someone recomended with a stove might be the best idea. Can fit ten people good place to get warm, sleep, talk about plans.
Adam, I kinda wanna go by my middle name Marcus.

Marcus
AdamWashington
AdamWashington

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Well the people i have been talking to since before we had this forum going hopefully know i am seruoius. From the begining i was hesitant to alaska, i had searchd google earth, online forums etc etc... But now we really have no other place to go. If you do not like the idea of alaska than where is a better spot?? I have heard a few of you say alaska is not the best, or it is just a bad idea. Well where else can we all go that we wont be discovered easily? The group is getting bigger here and hopefully not filling in with people who are going to falke out, we do not need to do all that planning with you in the picture if you are not serious!!!!!! the people i am sure are serious and ready to do this is, Chris, Adam, Benjamin, John, Chaz and I. I am pretty sure Rachel could do this but is just here to lend support which is greatly appreciated. And Taylor has his plans off for himself. The others i am doubtful of.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DJJoko (John) Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 pm

And though I know I have been the major advocate of AK, I'm also worried about going there. I'm sure it would be no picnic. Do I think it is possible to make it there? Of course, or I'd never consider going.

If anyone found a really unpopulated place where we wouldn't be easily found, I'd still be open to other places... as much of a surprise as that might be to you guys.

I'm sure that Canada does have such remote places... but then, the interior of Canada has more severe weather than even Anchorage.

I agree. This is NO game. Any of us could easily end up dead over this. Tons of people have died over the years, trying to do this very thing. I don't worry so much about myself because I was always the odd-ball among everyone I have ever known. I'm always the guy that friends of friends come to to fix something or solve a problem they are having... with anything from computers to power tools to construction. I know I'll find a solution to whatever problem may arise, because I've always enjoyed a complex problem and then finding a solution. It's my nature.

Is it your nature too? --or do you (I mean, any of you reading) usually go to someone else to solve a problem for you? Is this just some castle-in-the-sky sort of dream you have of getting away from all the madness? Is getting away from it so important to you that you'd be willing to trade your life for getting out?

I've spent years now asking myself these questions. I hope anyone going didn't just wake up one morning, dreading going to some dogmatic job another day, and decide to skip off into the woods.

This is big stuff... seriously big stuff.
DJJoko (John)
DJJoko (John)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty Wilderness.net

Post  mrgoodtimes420 Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm

wilderness.net lists all of the known wilderness areas in the united states.

Mike

mrgoodtimes420

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty HI :)

Post  robbingthewilderness Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:20 pm

hey ben!! whats up?
how have you been??

man, last night, i started the best fire in your apartment!!
so are we all going into the wilderness... ??

man, when i burned that rat alive, i kinda just wanted to cut a slice open and take a bite... but it kept jumping around and having spasms..
how lame Sad

fuck alaska, lets go to like the arctic circle or something.. i mean seriously.. lets do something fun!

ok, well see ya later! Smile

oh, and youre out of milk...

robbingthewilderness

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Location, location, location Empty Buying Land

Post  mrgoodtimes420 Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:59 pm

If a few of us are serious why not buy a track of land in the deep woods here in the usa. We wouldn't be messed with by law enforcement and I'm sure we would get away with hunting.

Mike

mrgoodtimes420

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  grimmorium Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:58 pm

If we buy land we will have to pay the tax and whatnot. We want to escape.
For the AK thing I've been hearing about, AK in my mind is a bad idea. I live in MN and here would be hard as hell (we have hill areas in the north with little population that a lot of people camp in). I would suggest a warmer climate.
For those of you worried about being detected, I wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of places were no one will find us. Especially in the middle of the country. There is a place in any of the states except for probably the east coast.

I already posted a thread for it, but I suggest we split up into groups based on our region: North, West, South, East. Then the groups can decide were they wanna go based on their locations. Cause I know a lot of people are having different ideas on where to go.

-brandon
brandonkelbe@gmail.com

grimmorium

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Ak in my mind is a bad idea too, there is only about a 2 month period to eather wild edibles, and the winter would just suck.
Now about buying land, in the United States I dont think it is a good idea, unless someone has money that there willing to spend. In Canada however, espically in Ontario and Quebec you can get land for as little as $350 an Acre, but usually a 40 Acre lot would cost anywhere from $10,000 to 15,000 with little to no taxes to pay. Not to mention you have a far longer time to gather food, and you will have a larger selection of animals to choose from, and many many more to find/hunt. Also as much as I would never want to be found by anyone doing this, comming across someone is not as bad as it may seem, no one is going to care that you are going on an "Extended Camping" trip [just hide the guns or bows up in a tree].

Soo, basically I think you guys should all pitch in a few thousand dollars and buy land, or just find a remote wilderness where few people live...I dont think many people in some of the central states or whatever [where the "hicks" live] will care as long as they dont own the land.

Taylor

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum